Thursday, February 23, 2006

Thoughts on Politicians

Mayor C. Ray Nagin
I like him. I voted for him. I think he did a great job, pre and post-Katrina. The man begged and pleaded for the people of New Orleans to evacuate. He told us that the Superdome was a SHELTER OF LAST RESORT. He asked us to check on the elderly, church members, neighbors and anyone without transportation. He sent busses intot different areas to bring people to the Superdome if they had no other place to go. Again, he told us to get out. He told us that this could be the big one. Many responded accordingly. Some didn't. Some couldn't. But he did what he could with what he had and I don't think anyone would have done any better in his situation. Barring some crazy events or revelations, I'm going to vote for him again.

Governor Kathleen Babineaux-Blanco
I don't know much about her other than the fact that she is not very well connected in Washington, D.C. Sometimes she seems a less-than-competent but as time passes, my distaste for her lessens. Like mayor Nagin, I believe she's doing her best. I don't hold her in very high regard but I don't think she's an idiot.

President George W. Bush
I think he is an idiot. I agree with his stance on abortion and that's it. I voted for Al Gore and John Kerry. I probably would have voted for anyone else had Bush been the only other option. The hurricane situation just supports my belief that although he may mean well, George Bush is not suitable material for a president...of anything. I wouldn't put him on a local school board. Forget the facts that he has no problem spending money that the government does not have and that he spends much of said money on his so called "anti-terrorism" policies and not on the people of this country who could actually use it. Ignore his ignorance to what is really going on around him and just ponder this. Our president, who invented a "war on terror", who is illegally detaining who knows how many suspected terrorists, who invaded a nation because of it's so-called "links to terrorists", wants to put six of our nations main ports, including the Port of New Orleans, under the control of a company based in the United Arab Emirates, a nation that many say harbors terrorists. First of all, why does everything have to be outsourced. I know that many companies in the U.S. have shady tendencies but they are our own. They pay taxes (at least a little bit) and they employ American citizens (hypothetically.) It just seems very hypocritical for a man who is so proud of himself for protecting Americans from terrorism (and the governments that allow it) to put our ports in the hands of possible terrorists. I hate that I sound like such a racist, but really, does this make sense? Here's a thought...put Americans in charge of American ports. Just don't put them under the Department of Homeland Security. We've already seen what that move has done to FEMA.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home